Tuesday 12 November 2013

Pitches

The second day of pitches and I wanted to rectify the lesson by addressing a collection of things that went wrong with the lesson

Classroom management
Unlike yesterday, learners were on time to the lesson. I decided to start the lesson by addressing their behaviour the day before. I told them:
  • The importance of feedback and told them that this time when they filled the peer to peer assessment, they must include at least one positive comment and one developmental need.
  • Their attitude: there was a lot of giggling during the presentations. I highlighted that when they go university or get a job, they may have to present work and being professional plays a significant part in this.
 
Motivation
I saw that after I gave learners feedback, they became really unenthusiastic. I was unsure how to bring them back so I went on with the lesson and hoped it might bring them back. Unfortunately, learners were still in a zombie like mood so I stopped them and tried to address the issue by getting them to sit up straight and show more respect for their peers. This still did not work and it was only by the end of the class that the students started to perk up. For future lessons, I think I should highlight vocational importance of the work or get them up and out their seats, to do a mini task that would bring their energy back.

Workshop

After seeing the presentation, my mentor and myself decided to make the Friday workshop compulsory. We saw that learners were not developing their ideas so he decided to do a lesson on creating a car advert, which I would follow up with the workshop. This will give me the chance to see how my mentor incorporates art into media and allow me to help learners’ in the process of creating their car advert.

No comments:

Post a Comment