Friday 15 November 2013

Workshop

Task:
As a follow up of my mentor’s lesson (car advert), learners were required to start creating their own car adverts.

CSG Workshop:
On Friday, I have a 1 hour workshop and sometimes top up lessons to ensure learners are able to get extra support or a form of scaffolding.  This session was made compulsory as a result of the learners’ pitches on their magazine ideas. They were behind with the developments of their ideas so this class was used to get them back on track.

Class Management:
Most learners were doing their work but naturally there were others who required a little more pushing. Two learners did not want to be present and argued they would do the work at home. I addressed this by highlighting they were given weeks to do their work at home, evidently nothing was produced and for this reason, I have had to introduce this session. It worked! Another learner wanted to leave early; I told this student she could leave if she produces a car advert. In the end I had to address her again because she had done the least amount of work, I highlighted this but sat with her and reiterated the task. I wanted to be able to address resistance by incorporating my managerial skills. I think I tapped into them well and managed to do it whilst keeping a balance between humour and discipline.

Addressing Whole Group:
I think I need to work on this because I find myself having to repeat things. Also, it helps with delivering instructions and information collectively. I will implement this by gathering all learners to one side to ensure that I have all their attentions.

Learners:
This session allowed me to learn more about the students’ preferred way of learning and previous knowledge of work. I found that one of the students I usually struggle with when it comes to delivering written pieces of work, excelled in the practical. In the future, I will need to try to incorporate colours and visual examples into demonstrating written work to differentiate. I also found that some of the learners had good knowledge in Photoshop, which I may use to promote peer to peer learning.


No comments:

Post a Comment