Friday 22 November 2013

Student' Eyes

In an attempt to incorporate plenaries, I used the traffic light method by cutting green, orange and red pieces of card into squares.

These cards were supposed to be used to rate and give feedback to each learner's film festival flyer. Sadly, by the end of the lesson one of the students was crying...

I underestimated the connotation of the colour 'red' which was held up at her work by her peers. The learner took it as an attack on her work. I felt so bad! I explained the relevance of the task and why I introduced it. Thankfully, the learner understood why I chose this method and ended up, with other students, giving me feedback on the whole lesson, which I was grateful for. Their feedback:

> They liked timed tasks because they worked better under pressure and ended up producing more.  

> They thought it was good that I introduced the purpose of the lesson as it made it structured and they knew what they were doing.  

> They liked it that I broke down the exercises through PowerPoint and visual aids

> They enjoyed giving and receiving feedback

As a result, I decided to implement these factors into future lessons. I also decided to completely get rid of the red cards when rating work or giving feedback and reiterate what each card indicates. Instead I will use the orange and green cards for learners to indicate whether they understand the topic or what they need to be doing

No comments:

Post a Comment