Thursday 14 November 2013

Reflective Log ILP – Direct Entry 1


I will be discussing my strengths and developmental needs. Learning is an ongoing process and plays a significant role in the development of an individual. For this reason, I will first of all look at ways of enhancing some of my strengths through theory that I can use in my classes. I will also look at ways in which I can use theory to help me improve in the areas I am not confident in.

 Strengths


Active learning is key in creating engaging lessons. I think that an important part of this is to try being creative and imaginative with lesson planning. This also plays an important role in catering to different needs and attention levels of students. Using various teaching methods and encouraging creativity, can give learners the opportunity to view the process of learning in a different way. I have been trying to do this through trying to incorporate and link learning styles and assessment methods.

Making connections between learning and vocation is very important in motivating students. There are occasions when students do not see the point of doing a piece of work. In these cases I tend to highlight the skills that are being learnt and how this relates to the world of work. An example of this is when students were put in groups for video production. I had to highlight to a group that this mirrored teamwork, individual responsibility and ownership of learning in the form of training at the workplace. I also like to let my learners know that I have worked as a part of a management team so they know that I have experience in the area.

Praise is very important in motivating my learners. I try to make an effort to let learners know what they have done well and what they can develop on. I also thank and praise students when they actively participate, which may encourage other learners to take part.

Being dyslexic, I like to be methodological in everything I do because I can get lost easily if I am not. In order to stay on track I will need to create detailed lesson plans and incorporate preliminaries.  

Development needs

I am concerned at times that I am too friendly or nice to students. I am worried that it will affect my ability to discipline some students. They might take it is a weakness or think I am lenient. I have decided to approach the situation gently by creating boundaries through things like the way I dress, the language I use and the way I offer support. Gravells points out: “the way you dress, act, respond to questions, offer support…” (2008: 98) plays a part in being professional.

I need to constantly remind myself not to have high expectations especially because students have different levels of understanding. I need to make sure my expectations are realistic and achievable for students. In order to do this, I will need to make sure I understand the needs of my students through initial assessments and checking previous knowledge of learners. Francis and Gould (2009: 69) say: “These will provide an indication of the level of skills or knowledge already achieved… likelihood of success if the learner is accepted onto the course.  A judgment can also be made as to the level if the course…” A more formal way of doing this would be through diagnostic assessment. This strategy identifies and assesses learners’ capabilities and needs, which highlights their learning styles and any support they may require to progress. (Wilson: 2008)

Although this is not a major concern, I think I need to pay a little more attention to the way I communicate with my body actions. E.g. getting down to a students’ level when I help them or not crossing my arms, which tends to make people look closed. According to Gravells (2008), teachers do not always realise or pay attention to their body language (facial expressions, eye contact, posture and appearance). This is important because body language is a form of communication and as teachers we not only need to pay attention to ours but to what our students are saying through theirs.

Although I praise students, I think I need to be wary about the way I give feedback. Having worked in retail I have learnt to be quiet blunt. With students I need to be careful that I am honest but sensitive. This also depends on the learner; I have found that learners are diverse in the way they react to certain forms of feedback. Keeping this in mind, I will need to look at the way I feedback and it benefit to the learner and how it will help them improve.

References

Francis. A and Gould. J (2009) Achieving your PTTLS Award SAGE Publications LTD
Gravells. A (2008) ‘Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector.’ Learning Matters LTD
Wilson. L (2008) Practical Teaching A Guide to PTTLS & CTTLS. Cenage Learning EMEA




No comments:

Post a Comment