Friday 1 November 2013

Our Autobiographies as Learner’s and Teachers



Denicolo and Pope found: 

“When teachers are asked to explain why they favour certain approaches, frequently they evidenced their choice of method of, for instance, by reference to a formative experience of their own, whether it be a positive one which they seek to emulate for their students or a negative one which they strive to avoid reiterating for others.” (1990:156) 

It is true. As a trainee teacher I always refer to my favourite teachers and their teaching practice and strategies for learning to improve my own. Although I reflect on my own actions within the class and when I teach (not much), much of my approach is drawn from my experiences as a learner then  teacher. 

But of course Brookfield highlights:

"I use autobiographical reflection myself because I think it’s a good starting point… The intrinsic problem with approaches to private self-reflection is that when we use them, we can never completely avoid the risks of denial and distortion." (1995: 33) 

My Experience of 'Bad' Teaching 


When I was in Primary school, I found it very difficult to learn how to tell the time. The teacher tried to explain it to me but it went completely and utterly over my head! The teacher got frustrated with me. 
                I remember, in front of the whole class, she called out my name and got one of the students to hand me a clock. She asked me to show her a certain time but I couldn't. I helplessly stared at the clock not knowing what time she wanted me to move the hands to. She got so annoyed at my lack of understanding and started calling me "stupid" and then started to get animated as she vented to the class. She eventually gave up on me and asked another student to show her and me the correct time. 
                I eventually learnt how to tell the time, on my own and with the help of my dad but ever since that experience and till this day when someone asks me for the time I am terrified! I know how to tell the time but its like my brain shuts down so I end up embarrassingly showing my watch to the person. It reminds me of then. 

Although this is something I experienced in Primary school, I never want any of the students I teach to ever feel this way. 

And this is why this quote spoke millions to me:

"When we fail to learn something as quickly and easily as we would like, we experience all the public embarrassment and private humiliation, the fear, anxiety, and pain that some of our own students are feeling." (Brookfield: 1995: 51) 

How many people have felt this way? Whether you are in an educational environment or at work amongst your colleagues, I am sure everyone has felt like this at some point of their life. This is why it is important that as a teacher:


> I need to check students' learning to ensure my teaching method is working and if not I need to improve it (Via methods of Assessment & questioning) 

> Try to create a comfortable environment where mistakes are welcome: 


I think Sir Ken Robinson would be a great person to refer to in this sense. I would show his videos to the class.

> Be able to support learners in various ways by catering to their needs. I can do this through initial assessments or at the beginning of the course by finding out about students through an exercise that was done by a colleague of mine. She did her micro teach on identity. I can link this with their way of learning as well as finding out about my students. 

No comments:

Post a Comment