Friday 13 December 2013

Trust

"They seem to trust you with their problems but be careful you don't get too involved…" A teacher said to me after the string of learners coming to me with their problems. I assured them that I was aware of the safeguarding policy and that I always made it clear to learners that if the issue effected their safety, I had to refer them or let another teacher know. 

I was told by two teacher that I should distant myself from learners with major problems (safeguarding issues) because I might end up getting caught up in it. I think they said this to protect me and did not mean anything negative but I still felt a little uneasy with what they said. I was pleased that learners trusted me enough with their problems and I did not mind if they needed to talk to me privately about anything. I just made a mental note:

  • Make it clear to the learner that you are not a professional - You are a teacher not a trained councillor 
  • Know about what support the college offers learners with problems 
  • Inform learners that if the issue effects their health and safety, I have a duty to refer them and let another member of staff know 
  • Listen to what the learner says but do not put words in their mouth 
  • Ask learners if anyone else knows about the issue and what support they are receiving 
  • Ask other teacher if I can have access to the pro forma (Student records)
  • Depending on the issue, inform tutor and head of department via email 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment