Wednesday 4 December 2013

Task 2: Reflective Log Directed Entry 3 – Applying learning theory to teaching practice

For the purpose of this short assignment and as a result on reflecting on my own teaching, I will only be discussing the application of humanistic and behaviourist theory. I have come to the conclusion that keeping a balance plays a significant role in my teaching practice. One of my biggest worries when teaching is the balance between student and teacher relationship. I want to make sure I do not overstep the boundaries but I want to have good rapport with my learners and maintain professionalism. For this reason I have decided to adopt a mixture of the behaviouristic and humanistic approach.

Behaviouristic psychology:

> A person’s environment determines their behaviour hence we learn our behaviour from our environment or conditioning
> Humans are born as ‘blank slates’ and are moulded by their environment
> Humans and animals have similar ways of learning
> Behaviour can be reduced to a simple stimulus response

Humanism rejected the assumption of the behaviourist perspective which, focused on reinforcement of stimulus-response behaviour and heavily dependent on animal research.

The humanistic approach studies:
> Concentrates on individuals to find out, in depth, the ways in which people think or feel.
> Holism: The study of the whole person.
> Uniqueness of each individual: Humanism believes that an individual’s behaviour is connected to his or her inner feelings and self-concept.

Although the two approaches oppose each other, I think using both will ensure a balance within the classroom and my teaching practice. Within my placement I use a mixture to also help with the way I manage my class. I use ‘accommodation cards’ (similar to a voucher. Students accumulate these and get rewards) to reward good behaviour. This reward system motivates learners, creates healthy competition amongst them and helps discipline the class. The humanistic approach is very useful in understanding students’ needs and external factors that may affect their learning. One of the responsibilities of a teacher is to attempt to break down any boundaries that may hinder a students learning, however, there will be instances that we can not be helped and in these cases we will need to refer the learner. I have use the humanistic approach to help me deal with certain situations that requires an emotive response. An example of this is when a student approached me with a serious safeguarding issue. I asked the student if they wanted to talk about but was told by the student that they were unable to articulate their emotions. I decided to approach the matter by suggesting to the student that they can write about their feelings and thoughts instead and what they decide to do with the writing is entirely up to them. The student responded well to this and was able to communicate better.

No comments:

Post a Comment