Thursday 16 January 2014

Using Schon

Now I am doing the photography unit, I decided to challenge the learners by teaching them semiotics.

Level
I found whilst teaching them 'signifier' and 'signified, I may have confused them. They seemed to grasp denotation and connotation better so I decided to stick to that when asking them to use semiotics as a method to look at images.

I think I should think about rehearsing. I know this is not something I will probably do in the future but hopefully that will be because I will have gained more experience.

Timing
I initially thought that my presentation and the work sheets would consume the lesson's time but I had 15 minutes remaining and so I thought on my feet (thank you Schon) and decided to give them an extension task to find either a photographic, advertising or magazine image and use semiotics to deconstruct it.

For future lessons, I will need to consider adding extension tasks for students who are ahead as I am trying to encourage learners to use their sketchbooks, I will use them to get learners to do extra research or develop their ideas in their books.

Marking 
At the end I got back all the worksheets and marked them. I sat there and thought about the way I marked:


  • What colour pen shall I use?
  • Shall I make a distinction when another student does better work e.g. "excellent work" or "very good work"?
  • Should I give feedback on work that will eventually be stuck in their sketchbook?
I think I will ask my mentor for some advice and look at some previous marking they have done so I have a better way of approaching this. 


No comments:

Post a Comment