Tuesday 10 December 2013

A Teacher Is...

So much more than just a teacher.

The day before I gave the student a blank art book: 'For when you cant articulate your feelings or emotions, write in this book... If you want, you can draw in it too. What you do with this book is up to you and who you show it too is entirely up to you but let it be a form of venting.'
 
Today, the same student came to me. After a rough night of being kicked out the house. The student looked exhausted and drained. I took the learner to their tutor who referred to 'Student Services'. I was told this was an ongoing problem.
 
Another student approached me yesterday: "I'm a father." I wasn't sure how to react but I was shocked. I let the learner know that this was a serious matter, which I was required to share with their tutor. I ran into a couple of problems, apparently this particular student has ADHD:
 
"ADHD stands for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. It’s thought to be caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain that affects the parts controlling attention, concentration and impulsivity.
This means a child’s behaviour can be anything from being ‘very dreamy’ (or unable to pay attention) through to being ‘always on the go’ (or hyperactive). A person with ADHD has difficulty filtering out all the information coming into his brain, so he’s easily distracted, tends to respond before he has considered things properly and doesn’t know when to stop."

Read more: http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/adhd/whatisadhd.htm#ixzz2nAy8jsyK
 
Although this was an issue, I tried to put my assumptions to the side. I have come into terms with the fact that learners are all diverse and with them comes various stories, background and experiences. For this reason it is important that I am aware of my boundaries as a trainee teacher: “The setting of professional and personal boundaries… is an important aspect of professionalism… a boundary is a limit on the extent of involvement.” (Francis and Gould: 2009: 12) As a teacher, I may encounter learners with varying degrees of needs such as disabilities, crime, refugees, health or housing issues. In these circumstances, it is important that I remain professional and objective and review points of referral to meet the learner’s needs.
Having said this, it dawned upon me that I am not very aware of all the help the college might offer for students these kinds of circumstances. In my previous college learners were given a diary which contained a long list of internal and external bodies that can support students by offering them information and advice. Any students in need of emotional support can be referred to the college’s counselling service or directed by them or myself to external bodies like the Samaritans (08457 909 090). There was also student finance (0845 302 1444), the National Drug Helpline (0800 776 600), career advice and a Child Protection and Vulnerable Adult team (020 7697 171) within the college.
 
I don't think the college I am in now has that much support but that could also be down to funding. Having been confided in by a couple of learners and in order to maintain good teaching practice, I will be going to 'Student Services' to speak to one of the staff about dealing with learners in difficult circumstances.


No comments:

Post a Comment