Monday 27 January 2014

Homework Continued

As expected, learners did not do their homework but their enthusiasm to get a merit/distinction was refreshing so I decided to have a gentle talk with them. I have found that the imbalance of teaching hours means learners uphold a unit over another. For example, they will have video production classes 2-3hours a day and compared to other units which only get 1 hour. I have tried to extend this by adding workshops to the lessons especially during practical tasks but it doesn't always work because learners end up doing other pieces of work. According to other teachers, learners are unable to prioritise their lessons. This is mainly due to the fact that they do not do homework. I shared with them, the way in which I juggle university, teaching, work and homework:

Monday: teaching
Tuesday: teaching
Wednesday: university
Thursday: teaching
Friday: teaching
Saturday: off
Sunday: work (paid)
"By the way guys, I don't get paid to teach you..."

Their facial expressions were priceless and it put them in their place. In the end end I gave them individual targets. Each learner was (for now) required to do at least 1 hour homework except for one learner who was ahead, I decided to give her a target of 2-3 hours.


Despite all this effort I think the college itself needs to be tougher on entrenching rules on doing homework.

No comments:

Post a Comment