Wednesday 23 October 2013

Playing with Toys

I did my second micro teach but  it was individual and I had to present it to a class with diverse disciplines.

About: I had to do a 10 min, yes a 10 min lesson on my subject! (media/sociology) My lesson was about gender stereotypes and how toys play a big part in embedding these ideas from an early age.


1st Page 

2nd Page: What is a stereotype?
Next time: I should have contextualised and say why stereotypes are important to know about.
I should link this to the introduction of the lesson and
possibly add my aims and objectives for the lesson. 

3rd Page: Gender Stereotypes
Next time: I should also say why gender issues are important.
I could have also done this in quiz format and allowed students
pick answers for hat they thought the definition for these were. 

4th Page: Toys promoting stereotypes
Next time: I was given feedback about asking directed questions
I pointed out I did not like this method because I thought some students
would find it uncomfortable. In the future I will tackle this by possibly getting the quieter students to sit at the front.

5th Page: Toys & gender stereotypes
Next time:  If I had more time, I would have asked learners
what stereotypes these toys might be portraying.

6th Page: Activity
The class got into groups and I gave them a Barbie and a Action man each.
I gave each group a handout with 3 questions. Each group was required
to examine these toys and answers the questions.
Good: Students were engaged with the tasks and seemed to enjoy it.
Next time:  I should have considered grouping students. 





































7th Page: References 




























All in all:



Strengths
Areas for Development
> Confident
> Kinaesthetic/active learning included
> Engaging task and thought provoking
> Encourage independent learning as well as peer to peer learning
> Effective use of activity to encourage group discussion
> Good use of Q&A as well as using open ended questions
> Effective use of Q&A to test previous knowledge
> Set context – Why are stereotypes important to know about?
> Improve use of questioning by using targeted questions to get everyone involved
> Ask students what they learnt to check learning:
Methods to consider:
> Seat quieter students at front of classroom
> Aim to create a learning environment where its ok to make mistakes
> Introduce a strategy to get all student involved in answering questions: Get students to hold up their answers on a piece of paper.



No comments:

Post a Comment