Monday 14 October 2013

Boundaries

Today I went on a trip with both the BTEC Media year 1 and 2 classes to the British film festival in South Bank. I came across several considerations:

Student & teacher relationship & boundaries
Some of the year 1&2 classes regard me as one of their 'own', this (again) worries me for a number of reasons. I haven't started teaching them properly and I don't want them to take me less seriously because they think I am 'cool'. I mentioned to them that I will be differnet when I am a teacher: 'teacher mode.' I will have to wait and see...


I think I have a bad habit of comfortably settling with their wave length. The age gap between them and myself is small so I understand that it is natural that we have things in common but I have to keep reminding myself to be more reserved. This is out of my nature. I am an open person and don't mind the banter I have with students but I just don't want it to affect my teaching. Am I overreacting? I think I need to ask the teacher what his opinnion on my relationship with the students is.


Aww miss, you're small
I know but I love my height 


I noticed the teacher gave his mobile number to the students. He text all the students in the morning to remind them to be on time and to call him if they had any problems. I found this interesting because the previous college I went to forbade. This was because students may call teachers out of hours and it will narrow the professional boundaries between teacher and student. There are both advnatages and disadvantages to this. I think I would keep a spare phone for college with a seperate sim to my own. This phone will only be used during college hours and trips.


Representation

Miss I'm hot
Yes you are...
Aww miss, you're gassing me up

Something I learnt today: for every 10 students there has to be 1 teacher present. I was at the back making sure all the students were on the right track and didn’t get lost or left behind. I found it funny and quiet sweet that although I was supervising, some of the students were making sure I was following and pulled me onto the train.

Language Due to my background and personality, the odd slang does creep into my vocabulary. I'm in two worlds about whether this is a major issue or just bad practise. I think this is probably because its easier for me to slip into 'friendship' mode with students when slang is involved. It makes me appear more like a student. 

I noticed when taking students out on a trip, you are representing the students and college. The teacher left to pick up a couple of students from the train station so I had to supervise the others whilst he was gone. I was wondering whether I was too lenient. I let students, quiet freely, go to the toilets and get drinks/food. This meant I couldn't keep register of who went where. On top of that students were scattered in different areas of the venue. I managed to gather them in the end but I found it difficult. I couldn't help but look at other colleges and tell myself: "You're not managing them properly, look at the way you are handling this..." To aviod this in the future, I will gather students and find out who is going where and give them an allocated time they have to come back by.

Show it to miss
I cant show miss this
Oh come on yes you can, she is one of us
Ah ok...


What will I do about the creating boundaries between myself and students?

“The characteristics of ‘best’ teachers… are that they: are friendly, can share a joke, and show respect for students; know their subject and can make it interesting; and can keep order without undue authoritarianism” (2006: 328)

This response is something I can relate to as it not in my nature to be authoritarian instead; I have decided to approach the situation gently by creating boundaries through things like the way I dress, the language I use and the way I offer support. Gravells points out: “the way you dress, act, respond to questions, offer support…”(2008: 98) plays a part in being professional. I feel that taking these steps and keeping motivation in consideration serves well in engaging the class and promoting differentiation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment