Monday 30 September 2013

More Helpful

As a trainee teacher I have become weary of stepping on other teachers' feet and for this reason I think I have become a little passive...

A student said that he was not in for the week because he was having problems with his citizenship. I didn't say anything on the matter, instead I explained the task he needed to do. Looking back now, I think I should have asked if he was ok and getting the support he needed. I would not have given him advice but I think as a teacher, I should make sure he is on the right track and know where to get help.

And, I was right! I should have enquired because...

The same student later on came into the staff room and asked where he was because his time table seemed to be incorrect. I told him that his next lesson was in a hour but didn't think of giving him a new timetable like I should of. (Though I didn't know where they kept them)

I am also worried about the way in which I support students. As I am not fully aware of what the teachers; expectations are. I am weary of how I address students' difficulty with their work as I do not want to over complicate or give them incorrect feedback.

Students should be able to see what amounts to a merit or distinction piece of course work. When I have my own class, I will try to get my hands on some example work. I don't think the grading criteria is enough on its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment