Tuesday 8 July 2014

Interview (1) BSix

BSix 

I applied for an A Level Media teacher position. I worked so hard preparing for the interview, its possibly one of the most stressful things I have ever done in my life. That and some aspects of actual teaching.

1) I had an interview with a member of management, HR assistant and head of department.

2) I had to do a micro lesson on how new technologies are changing the way audiences watch film to a mixed group of students.  

3) Exercise on marking an A level piece of film work, a film trailer to be specific.

5) Tour of the college

6) Reflective entry on my whole experience

People thought I was going to get the job because I was an NQT who was already familiar with staff and students. I stayed till the end and worked over 200 hours of teaching. However, I received a call saying I did not get the job.

Feedback 

I went to one of the interviewers to get feedback. I needed to:

  • Give my answers and constantly back them up with examples of what I have done or what I want to do 
  • Refer to my experience as a learners and member of management within the industry. Make connections. 
  • Improve my teaching - I was graded a 2 with elements of 3. Admittedly it was not my best performance but I was still shocked. The micro teach is the deal breaker. Thats where they see what you're really made of. 
  • Structure my answers 
The advice that was given to me was actually very helpful. In the end, I was not strong in the interview and micro teach. I was up against an experienced, graded outstanding and number one in his department teacher. I already lost.

Although I completely understood why I didn't get the job I was still gutted and my confidence took a blow. Nonetheless I decided to try again…  

No comments:

Post a Comment